Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Names – ever think about them?



 

Ever wondered what's in a name and what this might imply?

In Germany we have this thing called saint's day and in some families this day is given more attention than anniversaries.
Most of those saint's days go back to religious persons and there are complete books on that topic. If you're from a religious family you probably have a more traditional name, one that can be traced back to a saint.

I recently read that there is a wave of choosing more androgynous names like Luca or Lena though I don't see anything androgynous about either of them. Sure, normally a name ending on an "a" would lead to the assumption that you're dealing with a woman - unless you're facing an Italian name. Italian Luca's and Andrea's are always male. As for Lena (and who is not thinking of Lena Heady at this moment?) nothing modern and androgynous about this one, as it's short for Magdalena - very religious, very traditional and definitely very feminine.

Family names are a different matter, sometimes left open to speculation, e.g. I have at least three versions that really make sense as to where my family comes from. I prefer that version where it would mean "on fire".

And I'll leave you with that thought.

3 Kommentare:

Natazzz on May 13, 2009 at 1:23 PM said...

What I always find interesting is that some people really seem to look like their names.

Does that really mean that your name decides what you will be like or do you live up to your name?

Also, if there is a person with a certain name that I don't like, I have a hard timing not disliking other people with the same name lol.

Anonymous said...

my proper name, Catherine, comes from the Greek for pure. i find this very very funny...

Spoil Myself on May 15, 2009 at 3:51 PM said...

@natazzz my best friend back at school had the same as my mother, that was really weird ;)

@cate1987 that's really lol ;)

 

Spoil myself Copyright © 2008 Black Brown Art Template by Ipiet's Blogger Template