Sunday, September 7, 2008

Language and vocabulary


I’m obsessed with language and with using the appropriate vocabulary. Almost daily jongliere ich mit 3 Sprachen und das teilweise mit Menschen who also speak several languages, but we don’t share dieselbe Muttersprache and don’t come von demselben kulturellen Hintergrund. And we’re talking Europe here, right in the middle of it.

But let’s start with something I’ve been pondering about for the last couple of days. What is the correct term to speak of my girlfriend? “Girlfriend” obviously describes the gender but isn’t it also an age thing? I always think of teens when using the word. “Freundin” beschreibt unsere Beziehung nicht genau genug, “mon amie” n’est que évident quand je l’écris. What I totally refuse to use is „meine Frau“, ich kann nicht genau erklären warum, vielleicht hege ich diese starke Abneigung, weil es nicht nur die Beschreibung für einen Zustand ist, sondern gleichzeitig benutzt wird to describe or to distinguish a person’s gender and/from a person’s social role.

I’ll need to check what Luise F. Pusch has written about this subject, or check out her blog yourself.

0 Kommentare:

 

Spoil myself Copyright © 2008 Black Brown Art Template by Ipiet's Blogger Template